Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A well rounded education

Brunei Shell visit

Today, my brain is now crammed so full of a wide variety of information that I have become a Jack of all trades and master of none! I notice that my general knowledge is very good compared to most of my peers. I know a little about many things. I play golf (handicap 16), tennis, sail a trailer yacht, surf the internet, send e-mails and own 72 blogs. I know how to drill oil wells, service oil wells, analyse stocks, control spare parts inventory using mesc codes and a software programme (EMA3000), write books and now teaching English to new immigrants in New Zealand.

I have lived overseas in Melbourne for over 6 years, Hamilton for 14 years, previously lived in The Hague, Holland for 5 weeks (drilling course) and in Malaysia for 46 years! I have visited London, Belgium, France, Germany, Thailand, the Philippines, Beijing and Shanghai. Climbed the Great Wall of China and visited the Forbidden city.

At Tanjong, we were exposed to many things including English literature, Oliver Goldsmith and Shakespeare’s plays like Twelfth Night and The Pirates of Penzance who were poor orphan boys surrounded by water with not a drop to drink!

Science fair
I learned to play rugby; but I hated to be in the scrum. Every time I came out of the scrum, all my pimples and acnes burst and were bleeding! Those native students were really strong. Marcus, Henry, Gerawat Nulun and Lankie Simbas* were huge in stature compared to poor scrawny me. We also learned to do the hakka and sing Maori songs, Pokarekare Ana. A net was pulled across one of the basketball courts by Sargunam, our chemistry teacher. He taught us lawn tennis. His wife, Lillian Loke (Lai Lan) was the eldest daughter of Loke Yi Wai a friend of tai-yi and Lukoo in Seria.

Lulu Ong taught the sixth form class how to dance the cha-cha. She claimed that we would need to know how to dance properly if we were going overseas for our degrees. Little did she know that Waltz and Foxtrots were no longer the most popular dance steps any more. The twist, jive and rock n roll were more appropriate in the mid 60's when most of my class mates were attending uni overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your visit and your comment.