Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tanjong, 1963/64

In December 1962 my sister, Rose finished sixth form and she won a scholarship to go for further studies in Australia. She came back from Kuching and she was not very sure whether she should go out to find a job to support her younger brother and sister or should she continue with her own education. She consulted my uncle and guardian, Lucas Thien about her dilemma. He was not pleased at all with her scholarship award for some strange reasons because I remember even now what he said to Rose. It made her cry.

“What about your brother and sister? Don’t be selfish, Rose. Go out; find a job and work to support your own brother and sister!” This almost resulted in Rose giving up her Colombo Plan scholarship! Fortunately she didn’t. The next thing I knew she took me to see the district officer in Miri and arranged for me to enter Tanjong Lobang School as a boarder. I was the only local boarder from Miri town. All the other boarders came from remote parts of Sarawak like Bintulu, Sarikei and Kanowit. The day scholars were Paul Lee, Hata Solhi and Lucas Chua. They were my classmates in St. Joseph's Miri. As soon as I was settled into boarding school, Rose left for Australia. She attended the University of New England in Armidale, a small town north of Sydney.

5 comments:

  1. David Chin:

    I recognize you. I am Paul Ling Hwa Ing. You can contact me via phling@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,
    I also remember you, the hungry one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, I finished F5 at St Columbas in 1968. Had worked in Talikom Msia and Lutong Shell Telecom. Leong Mei Kim’s brother was one of colleagues in Talikom and later Shell. Had lived for several years in Nou You Kee coffee shop while attending primary school. Mei Kim also stayed there while attending her F6’s studies. Migrated to Melbourne in 1983. Both Ting Huat Tung and I worked for Telstra (formerly Telecom Aus). Enjoyed reading your blogs. Warmest regards. SY Chiew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I recognize you from FaceBook. Please send my regards to Anna.

      Delete
  4. Hi I graduate intro st Joseph 1964

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your visit and your comment.